SPC operations management assignment
Quality is a fundamental aspect of the organizational processes. When we look close at the issues of warranty claims and the amount of scrap that are resulted from the production process, we come to know that all of these issues can be addressed and resoled with less effort needed to go back and make corrections. Quality control in a meaningful manner would definitely result in increased productivity and sales. Quality is also required when customer services are provided. Improved quality in this regard can increase the existing customer loyalty and even bring in new customers.
Baldrige program is an award which receives application from the most prestigious organizations of the country to be assessed according to the Baldrige award. This is the only Presidential award that looks after the performance excellence of the applicant organizations which were 26 in number in the year 2015. The assessment is made by a team of expert which might constitute of 5 to 8 experts in different fields who spend hundreds of hours on evaluating each application. If a site is visited, the rigorous process of evaluation may be carried out for up to 1000 hours. The experts make a comprehensive report to identify the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for improvement in the applicant organization. The organizations can then use this report to improve its different organizational processes to improve productivity. The result could be an improved and innovative approach towards decision making and problem solving in the organizational processes.
It consists of the following ingredients:
- A positive attitude towards improvement: I means that the improvements should not be looked at as a negative thing but taken seriously and positively with added quality.
- Improvement as a constant process: Improvement should not be looked at as a onetime process but should be considered as an ongoing process at all organizational levels.
- Breaking down barriers between departments: Different departments in an organization must be in effective communication with each other.
Answer 4: They are:
- Six Sigma
- Just-in-time (JIT)
- Taguchi concepts
- Continuous improvement
- Knowledge of Total quality management techniques
- Staff empowerment
- Edward Deming: He is best known for his role in the rising of Japan as an industrial state after the Second World War. He was the one who proposed the 14 points of quality management. This system that constitutes of these 14 points is known as “System of Profound Knowledge”.
- Joseph M. Juran: He was one of the pioneer of the concepts of quality management. He wrote many books on related topics. Juran was the one who introduce the concept of “Top Management Commitment” and “Fitness for use”.
- Philip B. Cosby: He was the one who revolutionized the industrial world with his concepts of Quality is Free and Zero Defects. He believed that instead of spending resources on returns and warranty claims, the products should be made defect free at the first place.
Following is a list of the different techniques:
- Run charts
- Control charts
- Scatter plots and correlation analysis
- Check sheets
- Cause and effect diagrams
- Pareto charts
This could make an environment of fear in the organization. An environment of fear is not considered to be a productive environment. The human resource might get stressed up and lose control of their nerves and may have issues in performing their duties efficiently.
Educational institutions can improve the quality of their services by adopting the following points:
- Educational institutions should be aware of the standards set by the governing authorities and act upon them.
- There should be a system in place to get feedback from the students, parents, teachers and other concerned people to improve the educational processes.
- The educational institutions should hire qualified staff who are able to used scientific methods of teaching.
- The educational institutions should not only rely on theoretical aspects of knowledge. They should be in touch with industry and guide the students in getting practical exposure.
- Courses should be designed in a manner that are up to date with the recent scientific research.
Taguchi Concepts consists of the following:
- Target-Oriented Quality
- Quality Loss Function
- Quality Robustness
Pareto chart can be used in the following situations:
- When there are a variety of problems, Pareto chart can help us I analyzing the frequency of the problems.
- If the problem pool is divers but we want to find the most significant problem of the problem pool.
- Pareto charts can help us in identifying the big picture of the problem causes.