The purpose of this assignment is to give you an opportunity to reflect on your use of technology and how it impacts your most important interpersonal relationships.
- Submit this assignment via Canvas.
- Write in traditional essay format (introduction, body, conclusion)
- Your answers to each question should be a minimum of one paragraph. Develop thoughtful answers to the questions.
- In order to get full points you need to use concepts from the textbook and class discussion (cite your sources), and use correct grammar, spelling, structure, etc.
- When writing reflection papers, there is no right or wrong answer. This assignment is intended for you to learn about yourself based on the concepts we have read/discussed in class. Additionally, you should write in first person.
Watch these TED Talks:
Then answer each question below in at least full-paragraph format for each question.
- Document the kinds of technology you interact with. Consider all the different screens in your life. List them all and answer the following: How much you use them, what purpose do they serve, and how much would you miss them if they disappeared?
- What relationships are most impacted by the use of these technologies and how? List at least two positive and two negative aspects of the use of these technologies as it relates to your most important relationships.
- What changes should you consider in your use of technology in order to improve your relationships and your life?
The end result should be no less than three paragraphs of text plus intro and conclusion paragraphs.
The impact of technology on my life is impeccable. The technological advancements that take place daily are massive. Almost everything that I do is in one way, or another is influenced by technology. Even though technology helps us carry out many tasks it also negatively affects our lives.
The technology that I mostly interact with include; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and WhatsApp, and these technologies are part of my life; a day cannot pass me by without logging into these accounts. I use these accounts for entertainment, socialize with my friends and also updating myself on what is happening in the world. If for any reason I delete these accounts I will feel lost and bored because they are part of me.
The technologies have impacted my relationship with my family and friends. I tend to spend a lot of time on social media as compared to the time I spend with my family and friends. These technologies are both destructive and beneficial. The benefits that I get from these technologies is that I get to learn a lot of things and also, I get to improve my interpersonal communication (Verderber, Kathleen, & Sellnow, 2015). The negative effect of these technologies is that they are addictive and wastes a lot of time. Secondly, it inputs negative pressure on me that makes me change how I interact with my family in my quest to meet the standards that my virtual friends have set for me.
There are several things that I should do as a way of improving how I use these technologies as a way of improving how I relate with my family. I should limit the time I spend using these technologies, and I should also decrease the number of social media platforms that I use. Technology is not only affecting me but also my family and friends, but also it is controlling my life. Therefore, it is important for me to control how I use these technologies.
Verderber, R. F., K. S., & Sellnow, D. D. (2015). COMM (with COMM Online, 1 term (6 months) Printed Access Card) (New, Engaging Titles from 4LTR Press). Boston: Wadsworth Publishing.