Writing Project Proposal
You have been selected to be the project manager (for a project of your choice). The project you choose here will be used again in Assignment 4 (Week 10) and you may be asked to reference this project in subsequent weekly discussions. The project that you decide to use should meet the key criteria of a project, such as (a) having a beginning and an end; (b) results in something being delivered to someone; (c) requires a series of activities that must be done to complete the project; and (d) requires resources (e.g, people, materials) to complete the work. The project can be one of a personal or professional nature.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you define the scope of your chosen project. In your paper you must:
- Provide a brief summary of your chosen project.
- Describe at least three (3) project goals and three (3) project objectives.
- Identify the key customer(s) and at least two (2) stakeholders for your project. Remember, you are delivering the project to your customer(s); however, there are others (stakeholders) who have a vested interest in your project.
- Describe at least three (3) key milestones and /or deliverables for your project.
- Describe a high-level timeline that includes key tasks and deadlines.
- Estimate the project’s overall cost and any key staffing and non-staffing resources needed.
- Examine your project’s greatest challenge and provide a recommendation for addressing the challenge in question.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
This is a commercial project that is based on creating a profitable business for the owners and/or any other shareholders. The project would require finding a suitable place for the café in Egypt. Before the project is conducted and completed, the consumer market of the country would be assessed. Following are other details of the project.
The ultimate goal is to establish a café in Alexandria city of Egypt.
Have loyal customers who would love to come again and again.
Have multiple café in different cities in Egypt.
Find a suitable site for the café.
Get a license from the local authorities.
Find local human resource and train them.
Tourists who visit Alexandria.
Local middle and upper class people who can afford Starbucks.
Offices located nearby to get long time delivery contracts.
Any shareholders who would be on board with their investment.
Local population who would be physically and/or psychologically impacted by the project.
First milestone is the pointing out of a location for the café.
Then, we would need a license which may require up to 3 months in Egypt.
Another milestone is to build or redecorate the location selected.
Key tasks and deadlines
We plan to get a license at the end of the third month of the project.
By the third month, we would already have selected the location. We would now need to setup the café within two months.
We would hire staff and train them by the end of the sixth month.
At the end of the sixth month, we would be ready to open.
The overall cost of the project is estimated at $400,000 which includes a sum of $315,000 franchise fee according to the Starbucks website (Starbucks, 2017). The remaining costs will be due to the local licensing of a business, renting a place and decorations etc.
Initially, 6 people would be hired. Two persons would be working inside the kitchen. One person would be at the cashier and three persons would be serving the customers.
There is a need to buy kitchen equipment. Furniture for the café would also be bought with Starbucks official theme. A computer would be required at the counter. Consumable supplies would be acquired from quality suppliers.
Challenges and recommendations
The biggest challenge would be to get the licensing and other official work done in Egypt. Egypt is a country where you may need connections or bribes to get even the slightest things done. To meet this challenge, I would recommend the services of a local lawyer.
Another challenge could be to survive in the tourist rich market of Alexandria where there are already many western cafe franchises. I would recommend a reasonable rate and high quality. Also, there is need for patience as it would need some time to attract customers.
Starbucks. (2017). How to open Starbucks – Starbucks Coffee. [online] Available at: http://www.starbuckcoffee.net/starbucks/how-to-open-starbucks/ [Accessed 16 Nov. 2017].