Positive and negative aspects of social capital
Positive Aspects of Social Capital
- Preference for co-ethnics for economic transactions brings in economic opportunities
- Social capital brings in opportunities and support in the form of bounded solidarity. People of the society feel bound to help and support each other with the social imperative that they will help in return if the same group got into the same problem.
- Helps easy access to information on education and other resources.
Negative Aspects of Social Capital
- Social capital brings in restrictions on individual freedom.
- Social capital calls for excess demands from individual members of the social structure.
- Social capital can cause downward leveling among individuals of the social structure.