Measuring the density of various liquids by using hydrometer.
UDC engineering department. 2nd floor laboratory.
Method is as follows that the temperature and specific gravity of liquid is measured and from that density is calculated.
- Different liquids
- Fill the hydrometer with a water, and carefully check that it is clear of the walls.
- Record the temperature of the liquid using thermometer.
- Replace the water with liquid to be tested.
- Float the hydrometer in each liquid than take the reading.
|liquid||Temperature oC||Specific gravity g/cm3|
The hydrometer gives the specific gravity of liquids more whose temperatures were low.
Liquid density and specific gravity using pycnometer
Use of pycnometer for the measurement of specific gravity and density.
By measuring the change in weight of a density bottle filled with the liquid to be tested than finding the density by the known volume and change in weight.
UDC engineering department. 2nd floor laboratory
- Lever operated balance
- Liquids for testing
- F1-30 fluid properties apparatus
- 50 ml gay Lussac Pycnometer
- Electronic balance
- set up and level the lever balance on a solid surface.
- The lever balance supplied with F1-30 is sufficient to demonstrate how to change weight can be used to find the liquid density.
- Ensure the pycnometer is dry enough, complete with its stopper and record its weight.
- Fill the pycnometer with the liquid to be tested, let any bubble to enter it than insert the stopper fully.
- Wipe it from outside properly.
|water||Vegetable oil||Olive oil|
|Dry weight of pycnometer||Mp= 18.62||Mp= 18.62||Mp= 18.62|
|Filled weight of pycnometer||Mp+L = 68.98||Mp+L = 65||Mp+L = 64.82|
|Weight increase due to liquid||ML = Mp+L – Mp = 50.36||ML = Mp+L – Mp= 46.38||ML = Mp+L – Mp = 46.20|
|Volume of pycnometer||50ml||50ml||50ml|
For vegetable oil:
Using pycnometer the density of each liquid calculated. Bynsity is calculated. keeping the volume of the liquid constant its de